Thursday, January 20, 2011

Want To Become A Motorcyclist?

I often get the question - how long have you been riding? I respond truthfully, since 15.5 years old I've been riding motorcycles. Actually having been qualified for my M1 license before my class C license, I needed to take my Class C driving license test in order to validate my M1.

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course is offered at various Community Colleges and for California is supported by the California Highway Patrol. A highly recommended medium of obtaining your license, simply because you're given a motorcycle and helmet to learn on, are taught many safety steps which can help save your life in those clutch situations, and your driving portion of the M1 is tested on the last day - meaning all you will have to do is take the written test at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) of your state in order to obtain your M1.

Before acting on your interests, make sure you plan your financing! You're going to need a starter motorcycle (250cc engine is ideal), ATGATT (all the gear all the time), and maintenance money. Motorcycles are built on two wheels, which means mechanically they need to be in pristine condition in order to maximize safety.

Below is a picture of my starter motorcycle:
Many people try to start out with too much too fast. A 250cc motorcycle will allow you learn the fundamentals of riding and allow for training of your reflexes while minimizing speed and power in turns.

Currently my 2007 Suzuki GSXR600 requires an oil change every 3,000 miles, chain lube every 1,000 miles, and tires every 5,000-10,000 miles depending on the tire compound and how rough I accelerate. The misconception that incredible gas mileage converts to major money saving is truly a myth. A dealership such as Bert's Megamall can charge you upwards of $120 for an oil change, while tire changes can cost you at least $300.

My goal in writing this post is not to dissuade people from riding a motorcycle, but to critically analyze the finances before impulsively splurging on this hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment